Mocktail Blackberry Spritzer
For many people, beer or cola are the staple beverages at a Memorial Day or other BBQ, picnic or summer cookout. But there are always those who want something a little different, a little lighter, and a little healthier. One way to do all of that, and still “Keep the State on Your Plate” as we like say at Cultivate California, is to offer guests a Mocktail Blackberry Spritzer made, of course, with California-grown blackberries. Cool, refreshing, non-alcoholic and good for you, a Mocktail Blackberry Spritzer is a nice addition to any Memorial Day BBQ.
The easiest way to make a Mocktail Blackberry Spritzer is to make enough for several people at once. That means making it by the pitcher, jar, or punch bowl. To make multiple servings you will need:
- a pint of fresh blackberries
- a fresh lime (or a small bottle of lime juice)
- a large 2-liter bottle of seltzer
- a dozen mint leaves
- a small jar of blackberry jam
- a large bowl of crushed ice
- Wash the blackberries, mint leaves and lime
- Juice the lime
- Place blackberries, lime juice and mint leaves in a jar or bowl
- Add two tablespoons of jam
- Combine the ingredients
- Add seltzer and stir
Serving Your Mocktails
Fill up a tall glass with crushed ice, pour to near filling, then garnish with any or all of:
- more blackberries
- lime wedges
- sprigs of mint
Variations for those who want something a little different:
There are several ways to vary the taste of a Mocktail Blackberry Spritzer. Among those ingredients that can be added are:
- orange juice (about one ounce per serving)
- cinnamon syrup (a very little goes a long way)
- substitute tonic water, lemon-lime soda, sparkling water or even club soda instead of seltzer
For those who want a little less “mocktail” and more “cocktail,” of course, a shot of vodka or gin can give a glass of this spritzer a kick.
What goes best with a Mocktail Blackberry Spritzer?
A Mocktail Blackberry Spritzer goes with just about any dish you would serve at a picnic, summer party, outdoor cookout or, of course, Memorial Day BBQ. It is a cool, refreshing and healthy drink that matches anything from ribs to lettuce wraps.